Thursday, January 8, 2009

The 5 Love Languages

I've been on a reading kick recently and just finished Gary Chapman's The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate. It's an absolutely fabulous, quick read! Yes, it's meant for married couples, but still the principles in it are great in general for everyone to know about themselves, their significant other, and--most obviously as mentioned by the title--your spouse.

For those who don't know, the Five Love Languages are:
  • Words of Affirmation
  • Quality Time
  • Receiving Gifts
  • Act of Service
  • Physical Touch
I'm "bilingual" which means that both my primary and secondary love languages are equal (there's a little test you can take in which I determined this). But even before I took the test and "officially" knew, I already had an inclination about what I was. My love languages are Words of Affirmation and Receiving Gifts.

The other day at my cousin's bridal shower, my aunt made a funny comment about the love languages and men: "Is there a man out there whose love language isn't sex?!" meaning Physical Touch. Haha, I just got a kick outta that. Classic Margie.

So since I'm all into this now, I think you know what's coming next: what's your love language(s)?

7 comments:

Monica said...

This is a favorite of Wade and I! Wade made it mandatory reading for Joslyn's husband when they were engaged!
It is so good to know and can really help you to show love to those you care about when you know their love languages!
Both Wade and I are quality time and I am acts of service! My motto is with Wade "you do a chore you score"!
Wade is also physical touch---your Aunt might be on to something! Actually I know a few guys that aren't!
There are quite a few other books that he wrote we have them all if you want to borrow them!

Monica Petersen said...

I have GOT to get this book. I have been meaning to read it :)

IzeOfLight said...

How fun! You KNOW I love this book! I think I'm needy and am all five--ha ha! No, not really. I'm both Quality Time and Physical Touch. Isn't it such an interesting read? Then I wish I could guess others' languages more easily (I find it a lot easier to guess someone's color, a la The Color Code), but I don't have that skill down yet.

Katie said...

I'm quality time and physical touch. It's a good thing for your significant other to know!

KOCHERHANS said...

Hey Morgan,
I am Acts of Service and I am so adopting Monica's Motto - love it.
Congratulations on the mission thing. That is very exciting and it'll be fun to find out where you are going. I am surprised how many people are guessing Utah. I'm going to say foreign for sure...maybe Bolivia?? or Finland. Can I guess 2? Can't wait to find out. Hopefully we'll see you tomm at the reception.

Chelsea Robson said...

30% Physical Touch
23% Quality Time
20% Words of Affirmation
17% Acts of Service
10% Receiving Gifts

Morgan said...

I agree with Tara, love that quote Monica!

Tara - Thank you! It seems like so many people are saying Utah recently that it won't even phase me if I actually do get called there. Personally, I did my time in Utah, thanks.

Chelsea - 10% Receiving Gifts? I could have told you that especially after I told you what I wanted to get you for Christmas and you said, "Oh that's ok. Just thinking about getting that for me is good enough!" Haha