Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Oh, It's Just A...

I got my wisdom teeth out about a month ago. Most people have pain for abou 2 weeks, then they're good. I didn't have much pain at first, but I did a week into it. Turns out I had a dry socket on my bottom left side. Great. I got that taken care of and assumed it would be smooth sailing from there.

I stand corrected.

This weekend I had a ton of pain on my left side. But it was on the top and went all the way to my ear (you know that ear pain you get when you're sick? That was the pain). So since I leave for my mission in 2 weeks, I decided it probably was a good idea to get it checked out, even if it was nothing.

Turns out it was something.

The dentist looks around and then informs me that there is a "piece of bone" stuck in the side of the top left cavity (as in: hole, not like a cavity you get from eating too many Sour Patch Kids). Yes, a piece of bone. Not sure if by bone he meant part of the tooth that was extracted or bone as in "when we took the tooth out, part of your jaw bone got taken with it." Not sure, not worrying about it. But still--a shard of bone is no good. He said that it was just lodged in the side and preventing that cavity (again, the hollow place) from healing properly. Uh, huh...I see. That explains the pain A MONTH later.

So he numbed me up, took his gizmo labeled "use for removal of bone shards that got accidentally left behind," and took it out. It was probably the size of my little finger nail. Lovely.

Moral of the story: if you have pain, please get it checked out. I can't imagine what would have happened if I left on my mission and still had that in there.

1 comment:

Jonathan Canlas said...

good luck on the mish!!!