Tuesday, March 31, 2009

An-yan, Lunch time quotes, and Memorizing

Hello all!

So yet another week at the MTC has passed: 6 down, 3 to go! Yay! It's been so sad because in my zone is all the intermediate and advanced districts, so every week, someone who we've been friends with for a few weeks, just picks up and leaves. But it's alright, I'm over it.

This week has been really great. We taught our first lesson in Spanish for the first time ever about a week ago. The best part about it was that we taught for about 40 minutes to a teacher in one of the teaching practice thingies and after, the first thing that the teacher said to us when he was giving us feedback was, "Are you in the advanced district?" What?! YESS! Seriously, that's pretty much the best compliment we have ever received here because the Advanced district is only for Native or Fluent speakers--something that I am FAR from, but it was really awesome that he would say that. The ULTIMATE compliment. But was the best part about it was that when we went into teach, we were just hoping to be able to cover all the principles and be able to express our selves with the vocab, etc. But the whole lesson was completely focused on the investigator and we ended up teaching a slightly modified lesson based on the question we asked him, his feelings, his needs, etc. Seriously, the fact that we were able to do that without even thinking about it is really awesome. We were so stoked walking out of there, but we still have tons more to learn and hope that every time we do better and better and meeting the needs of the investigator--in Spanish...

So lunches here at the MTC are everyone's relax time. It's 45 minutes where you can talk about pretty much the most random stuff ever. Our lunchtime topics cover such random topics such as Power Rangers, favorite cereals, movies, Treasure Mountain (Marshall, remember that old computer game we used to have where you were a "Super seeker" trying to climb the mountain to get the crystals? If not, I'm positive Steven does. But anyways, one Elder was randomly talking about it and no one knew what he was talking about so he found me and said, "Hermana Burt will know. So he quoted part of it and I started laughing because--of course--I knew exactly what he was talking about. I seem to be the "go to" gal for random stuff like that...).

ANYWAYS, the reason I was telling this story. So everyone knows that I'm a huge, crazy Disney fan. And randomly if something reminds me of a Disney quote, I'll say it. A few of the Elders get it (like Elder Poulsen who gets every single quote). Well one day they decided to try and stump me at lunch and came up with this list of questions to ask me. Little did they know that I'm like THE MASTER of Disney trivia. Well, they said that they had all these "hard" questions and their first one was, "Ok, what is the direction and number of stars to get to Neverland?" ....seriously? Hahaha, I just laughed and told them the answer (2nd star to the right and straight on till morning). Elder Burris then said, "Dang...she's good." So I gave them some trivia questions which they all had no clue about...until Elder Smith came along. So Elder Smith is in the other district and I didn't really know him very well because his district sits at another table. He found out that Disney trivia was going on and decided to join in on the fun. Elder Smith is awesome. He's super funny, remembers practically every quote from every movie ever (not just Disney), and can mimic/impersonate voices perfectly! Haha, So him and I started talking about Disney and then got on the topic of Disneyland and such. He started talking about how much he's not a fan of the Pirates of the Caribbean revamp they did to the ride a few years ago. He then says, "I don't get it. Didn't they see the little plaque that is hanging on the wall as you exit the ride that says, "If any man shall add unto this ride, God shall add unto him the plagues that are foretold on this ride? What were they thinking?" HAHAHA, seriously, I think that was the funniest thing I've heard here at the MTC and I laughed for--no joke-10 minutes. Anyways, so how every few lunches or so, we have our "Disney Quote-a-thons" where we just quote line after line after line from certain movies (he more than me because he has an incredible memory). We've done Robin Hood (full of tons of CLASSIC quotes), Jungle Book, Aladdin, quoted probably the first 15 minutes of Peter Pan, and all the other Disney movies in between. It's great. It makes my lunches because I just laugh the whole time. But don't worry, when lunch is over I totally get back to work and don't think about it. And he leaves next week with his district, so they'll end. Oh well.

Ok speaking of memory. So Elder Poulsen is another awesome Elder here and he and I have a goal where we memorize a scripture a day for the entirety of our missions. Because there is a promise from President Monson that says if you memorize a scripture a day, by the end of your mission you will have a photogenic memory (not only have memorized nearly 700 scriptures if you're an Elder, or 500 if you're a sister). If anyone needs a photogenic memory, I DO. Seriously. Anyways, so we decided to do this and our goal is to memorize 50 scriptures by the time we leave. We started 2.5 weeks ago and already have 28 each memorized. So I definitely think that we will be able to do it. We may even bump it up to 60 depending on where we are in 2 weeks. Who knows. But it's awesome because we're memorizing in Spanish and once you memorize it in Spanish, it's SUPER ridiculously easy in English. I don't count the ones in English though, only Spanish. Anyways, it's been a really good goal for me.

So since I've been here so long, I've decided to learn how to say hi to as many Elders/Sister as I can in their languages. So I've learned how to say "Hello" in about 15 languages. The reason I started doing this was because I learned how to say hello in Korean from watching the show Arrested Development. So I saw some Korean Elders and said it to them and then they all gave me sort of strange looks. I asked if I said it wrong and they said, "No, but 'An-yan' is the lowest form of hello. Only kids use it." So I learned the proper way (An-yan Ah Say Oh) and started saying it to them. And then it was too much fun to stop there, so I learned it in others too. It's really funny because I'll say it and the Elders will say it back and get confused because they see my tag and see that's it's Spanish and don't understand why I'm saying hi to them in their language. Well, I think it's fun at least...But I actually have made a lot of other friends here by just saying Hi to them.

Ok well here's something that I think you parents will like to here. The other day Hermana Flake came up to me and gave me a super nice compliment. She said that she really looks up to me because I work really hard as a missionary, play basketball really well, am athletic, get along well with all of the Elders, the Elders look up to me and respect me, I'm mature, I can sing (whatever, I have no idea what she's talking about because I definitely don't sing), have tons of scriptures memorized, speak Spanish really well, etc. It really took me back because this is the girl that I REALLY look up to. She is seriously the most incredible missionary and is SO prepared. In class when she comments, she has the best memory, and she will just say things like ,"Yeah Elder Erying said in conference a few years ago that ..." or "Brigham Young said..." And she'll go off on these huge quotes. Seriously, it's quite incredible. But still, I thought it was really nice of her to say those things about me. It really brightened my day because I certainly don't feel that way about some of those things.

Well, I want you to know that I love my Savior Jesus Christ. I had an interesting experience this week where we were watching a quick 5 minute video that had just pictures of Christ set to the song "I Believe in Christ" by the Motab. As I was looking at one of the pictures, I suddenly just felt my faith in him literally increase. It was as if it went from one step to another. In that moment I realized how incredible this Gospel is that our faith, knowledge and understanding of Christ can grow and grow and grow. There is no limit. There is no end to how much we can trust in him. The prophet's faith in Him must be incredible, yet I know that his faith grows every day. I love this about the Gospel. The chance we have now, and for eternity, to progress without limit. I love Jesus Christ with all my heart and I am so proud every day to wear his name on my badge. He is the only way and means how we can obtain salvation. It's through our faith in Him. I love being a missionary and can't wait to use every minute of every day for the next 18 months serving him.

Love you all! Sorry if this email is super random! I just type whatever comes to my head! Have a wonderful week, I know I will!

Love,
Hermana Burt

No comments: