Monday, December 7, 2009

Dang, I'm a bit bummed. I just spent 20 minutes attaching all these pictures to different emails and sent it. Then I looked in my sent mail folder and it says that they never got sent. Bummer. This email may be a bit shorter than the rest because I wasted so much time already.

Anyways, things are going in Beeville. Last week was super rough. Only 2 new investigators, one of them was the daughter of an investigator that we've been teaching for a while and the other was one that we discovered through our own finding efforts. It's been rough. I blame the snow. Haha, and yes, I'm not lying. It did, in reality, snow here in Texas. Here in Beeville it was just flurries and such, but near Corpus is actually stuck. I don't know. Maybe if everyone could just pray for me and my companion that we'll find new investigators this week...We really have had a drought for a few weeks now and it's been quite sad because we're doing our best.

So I think I'm going to talk about my companion, Sister Call. She's so awesome and we get along SO well. We are always laughing, smiling, joking, and enjoying each other's company. Definitely a good match. She is from Seela (sp?), Washington and has been on her mission 6 months. She is such a spiritual giant, which I love and appreciate because I'm learning SO much right now from her in all aspects of the work. At first glance, you would look at her and think that she's your typical sister missionary, but she's TOTALLY not. Oh wow, she's hilarious and FUN and funny and the best! We both have SO many things in common it's crazy. For example, randomly she said something that had the phrase "Far From Home" in it. And it reminded me of that movie that Steven and I used to watch by the same title. I started explaining how he and I used to LOVE that movie, but it was SO strange because it really wasn't an exciting movie for kids. She started freaking out because she and her brothers used to watch that movie all the time when they were little too. Haha, I don't think anyone else I've ever talked to even knew what the movie was, let alone used to watch it all the time. It was a great moment. It's funny because we say all the time that we had practically the same childhood because we have a lot of moments like that.

Our favorite movies' just so happen to be the same one: Pride and Prejudice which delights me greatly. It's funny, we are both obsessed with the soundtrack. And I actually have it here on the mission, but I have never been able to listen to it because we have limitations on the music we can listen to here in this mission. Acceptable music needs to be one of three things: Hymns, Mo-Tab, or Classical Music that is over 100 years old. P&P soundtrack is clearly not over 100 years old. But I was mentioning to her the other day that I had it and then I had an amazing realization: there is ONE song on that CD that actually is a song that's over 100 years old. The track is titled something like "A Letter to.. (insert composer of the actual song here)." It's the SAME exact song, but just the tempo is SUPER slow. The only way I know that is because I was listening to KBAQ one day and home and heard it and freaked out because I love that song. ANYWAYs, so after we made that discovery, we hurried and put the CD in, put it on track 8 on repeat and listened that same song the rest of the night. And we were both ok with it. Yeah, that's how big of nerds we are together...but I love it!

We watched Mr. Kruger's Christmas with Lorenzo and President and Sister Ramirez. Golly, do I love that movie. SO cute. My commitment for everyone this week is to watch that video for FHE (and yes, mom, you do have it. It's in the DVD cupboard on the bottom shelf ALL the way to the right in a brown paper sleeve/case thing). It's so cute and fun. It was funny though because all those people are older (60s/70s) and at the beginning it had the credits and flashed, "James Stewart" on the screen and they all started gabbing like little hens, "OH! James Stewart!" "James Stewart!" It was funny to me, I guess I'm just one generation behind to really be enthralled.

Well, time for me to go. Maybe I'll try to send the pictures again. But I love you all and I know that this Gospel is true. I learned a good lesson from my friend Laura in an awesome letter she sent me about D&C 121 and in versus 7 and 8 talk about "enduring it well." A lot of times, we think that simply "enduring it" means that we've come off conqueror. That trials make us better. But let's be honest, there are plenty of trials that I've had that I didn't handle the right way; I didn't grow at all. The key is enduring them WELL, as D&C 123:17 says to "cheerfully do all things." We knew before this earth, that life would be hard, that we would have trials, tribulations, experiences that would push us. But I have a feeling that when we found that out, we jumped for joy--we were excited. Same with anyone who goes on a mission, no one ever tells you that it's going to be easy. Everyone says that it's going to be hard and yet, despite that, we still say, "Yeah, I know. It's going to be ok." And you know, I've found that as I change my attitude, am positive and optimistic about the work and the future, and am happy...that it is. Everything is all right. I love it. This Gospel really is a Gospel of peace and the plan really is the Plan of Happiness.

Merry Christmas!
Love,
Sister Burt

No comments: