Monday, May 17, 2010

Dog Attacks Missionary..What Else is New?

Family,
First off, I'm going to respond to April Farnsworth. :) Haha, I love you so much April. You're awesome. Ok, so a few things, I realized that after I sent that email, it sounding like "complaining" but it really wasn't. Haha, I'm SO excited that you are pregnant and want to be the first to congratulate you, but unfortunately, by now, I'm probably the 13,232th. Oh well. You are right that when you are last to have kids, you get last pick of the names. But, you both definitely have priority rights to use the name Nora. But I know that you're little girl will be just as sweet and caring as Nora was. Just as Nephi and Lehi in Helaman 5, were named after their ancestors, to remember that their works were "good", I know the same will happen for little Nora.
"Behold, my sons, I desire that ye should remember to keep the commandments of God; and I would that ye should declare unto the people these words. Behold, I have given unto you the names of our first parents who came out of the land of Jerusalem; and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how that it is said, and also written, that they were good." --Helaman 5:6
Well, this week was great. We taught 30 investigator lessons this week--even though the Standard of Excellence for the mission is 20 (which we consistently get). It was great. 5 people came to church, but they all left after Sacrament meeting. We went to a funeral yesterday--the uncle of a member died; it was the first funeral I'd been to since Nora's back in '97. It was interesting but gave me time to ponder the meaning of life and read Doctrine & Covenants 137 & 138 about death.
So in our area, the different parts of the area are color coded. So a lot of times, when we're thinking about where to go, we'll say, "Hmm, how about green? What street do you want to work there?" or "We haven't been in blue for a while." Well, when we were first here, we worked green--a LOT. We exhausted green. So we vowed to not work in it at all, but to work the other areas (especially Orange, which is the richest area, so we avoided it forever anticipating imminent rejection). It's funny, even though we didn't want to be in green, we kept GETTING investigators in green even though we were never even there. It was surprising that a few weeks ago, we had a sprinkle of investigators from there, then they turned into a lot--now, we've just given up and started working in green and knocking there and about half of our investigators are from that part of town. Interesting, to me, at least.
Funny story. We were knocking streets (having to start reknocking streets and retalk to the people who didn't want to talk to you before) and I walked up to a door. I heard this yippy little fraidy cat dog barking from underneath the car as I walked past it. I didn't pay much attention to it. The majority of those dogs are the coward ones, who will bark and bark, but run away if you start walking towards them, BUT they are also the ones who once you turn your back, they try to bite you. I ignored it as the owner came down the steps to talk to me. As he was coming down, this Pitbull out of NO WHEREcame and started coming towards me. He startled me and I screamed and the put my knee up to block him. He was on the attack and ending up biting my knee. Sister Farr was in shock but was trying as fast as she could to pull out her mace. The dog really didn't bite me thought, more like grazed the skin (I think because I stepped back), and the owner quickly grabbed him, pulled him away, and then yelled at his son for letting him out. It was kind of scary, but not really. I think the mission has desensitized me to "scary things" and situations. I'm doing fine though, don't worry. I just have a pretty neat bruise in the shape of teeth marks. :)
We talk to a lot of people, obviously. But sometimes, the people clearly hear the truth--or rather, the Holy Ghost brings it unto their hearts (2 Nephi 33:1), but not into--that's where their agency comes in. On two different occasions this happened, the first was to the owner of that pitbull and the 2nd was to another man. We'd be talking and they would be disagreeing and trying to justify their ways, but then we would bring up some true doctrine (usually about commandments and how unless we LIVE them, we cannot enter into God's kingdom), and they would just stop talking at literally, walk away. It was semi-hilarious because I knew that in that moment, the Holy Ghost was testifying to them about what we were saying, that it was true--but they choose to reject the message. It's ok, but sort of sad.
Well, not much to say this week, love you all and have a great week!
Love,
Sister Burt!

1 comment:

Stop Making Excuses said...

Pit Bulls have to be regulated for their own safety and for the safety of the public. There just is not any way around that anymore.