Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Diabetic Shoes

Hello everyone!

Happy Belated Memorial Day! Wow, holiday's really mean nothing to missionaries. It'll be weird to celebrate things like that again. All we really did was have our normal pday, I went golfing while Sister Farr sat in the cart and wrote letters, and then we went out at 6 pm (as usual because pday ends at 6) and taught some lessons. Oh, and I also got hair cut. Last Wednesday, Sister Calvo came up to us and said, "You look like you need hair cuts. Ok, Monday I'll come and take you to get your hair cut." I was semi-offended; did she think our hair was scraggly and ugly? Probably. Let's be honest, I just let my hair naturally wave and then by the end of the day (when she saw us), it's put up in a hot and sweat pony tail. So yes, we got our hair cut and the lady cut WAY more than I wanted, but whatever. That's what you get. You saw "between 1 and 2 inches" and you get three. What can you do about it? I was trying to just grow my hair out ridiculously long just for fun, but oh well.

Last week we mowed a neighbor's lawn in a skirt. Sister Farr changed into pants, but it was 7 pm when we started and I just didn't feel like changing, so I did it in my skirt. I'm sure I was a sight to see when the neighbors drove by. The grass hadn't been cut for ages (she kept saying, "Well it's been raining! I'm not going to cut my lawn when it rains!"), so it was at least 3 feet tall--5 feet in other spots.

I've started taking two showers per day because I realized how nasty it is to go to bed all sweaty and gross. After a few days of showing so much, I looked at the bottom of my tub and saw a ton of dirt that had washed off my body, just sitting by the drain (it hadn't drained down). Beeeauitful. Just thought I'd share.

Here's something funny, so the other night, I woke up in my sleep. Right when I did, I heard Sister Farr say something and I said, "WHAT?" and she said, "Que bendiciones ha visto en su vida?" (translations: what blessigs have you seen in your life). It was funny, but then I went back to sleep. Turns out that Sister Farr heard ME talking in my sleep while she was a asleep and so she replied back (while still being asleep), then she woke up right after and realized what she had done. Sorta funny. Yes, I know, my talking in my sleep is nothing new to the world, but Sister Farr is such a hard sleeper, she never hears it.

We went to an appointment the other day and the man, Paul, wasn't there. A young 20-something man was standing outside the door, but we had already talked to him before, so we just said, "Hi" and "Bye." Later, we were outside of the apartment complex and he came up to us and said to me, "Hey, are those diabetic shoes? They look real comfy." I just about nearly died laughing right then and there for two reasons: 1) That's just the most random way to start a conversation with someone and 2) Yes, I knew my shoes weren't the most attractive things in the world, but getting them mistaken for DIABETIC shoes. That one's a winner. I told him no they weren't, even though they were comfy. We started talking and he started spilling out all about his life and how he "knew Jesus" but wanted to change. Sister Farr was a bit skeptical about him because she thought he just wanted someone to talk to, but we went back to his real house later and had an amazing lesson with him. We've really been focusing on using the Book fo Mormon and relating it to people's lives, so in that lesson, we used a ton of scriptures to relate to him. For example, he talked about how we just wanted to have his family and be properous, so I shared a scripture from 1 Nephi that says, "If you keep my commandments, ye shall prosper in the land." This then led us to a conversation about commandments. Later he mentioned that he was in a gang and had lots of enemies, Sister Farr used this as a chance to read a section about the dealings of the Gaddianton robbers and applied their deeds to the ones that he had done in the past. We really "likened the scriptures" unto himself. We left him--Marcos--with Alma 36 (the story where Alma the younger is recounting his conversion story to his son Corianton) and invited him to read it. We came back and he had read it all TWICE and the intro, testimonies of the witnesses and Joseph Smith. He clearly read it all because he recounted all the stories back to us with such clarity. He had some doubts saying, "But your church was started in the 1800s or something. I want to follow Jesus who lived a long time ago." We came back and explained the Restoration (we left the Restoration pamphlet and he READ it all!). He even told us that he did what it said in the back and prayed to know if this church was true. He said that he was surprised that he got an answer saying that "Yes, it is." It was shocking. I know I shouldn't be shocked, but you'll be surprised about the HUGE gap with how many people we invite to pray to know and how many acutally do it; hardly anyone sincerely does. But he really was one of those who "asked God...with a sincere hear, with real intent, having faith in Christ." We helped him realize that since he recieved that answer from God, he needs to not have doubts and just go forth with faith. He got his girlfriend to come and listen and he is intent on going to church to "give it a shot" to find out for himself. I'm really excited to see how Marcos progresses over the next few weeks! And it's funny about him: initially, we ignored him and didn't re-talk to him. I'm grateful that he had the courage to come up to us and ask us question. Even if he had to start the conversation talking about my "diabetic shoes." :)

Marcos, Theresa, Lucy...all of them are true seekers or truth and knowledge. I was driving along a country road the other day and was surrounded by feilds of grain. The grain had grown quite tall, but I noticed something interesting about it. In the FIELD as vast as the sea, there were literally thousands of individual stalks. They all were the same height, except for every once in a while there was that stellar, exemplar piece that woudl shoot high about the rest by about a foot. I pondered this and realized that there were quite a few of these overachievers, but in comparred to the entire feild, their numbers were relatively few. I realized that this is like the elect of God or the true disciples of Jesus Christ. There are lots of claim to follow Christ, but don't have the works to follow him. There are many who believe in God, but don't want to change or accept the true. The members of the church who will inherit the celestial kingdom are like those tall pieces of grain. There are a lot, but very few comparred to the whole. As we drove, we passed other feilds: some feilds had more "elect" that the previous feild; some had very few. I thought about this as the geographical areas in which we live. I passed a feild with TONS of tall pieces and thought in my head, "Utah," but then passed another feild right after with very few tall pieces and thought, "Raymondville." I'm sure that some of those tall pieces start out thriving, but due to the hardships, the heat of the sun, the tempations of the world and Satan, they just wither away and die. No matter where we are, "the worth of every soul is great in the sight of God." We stand out above the crowd and need to be "steadfast and immovable." As the Savior said in Matthew 5, "Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

I love you all and thanks for your support. I hope everyone has a great week. Thanks for all the letters, updates, and kind words.

Love,
Sister Burt

"I wear these diabetic shoes!..becuase I have a bad case of the gout!"

No comments: